NOTICE OF PROCEDURES FOR THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY NOMINATION FOR MEMBER OF THE VIRGINIA HOUSE OF DELEGATES, 23rd DISTRICT:
This notice is authorized by the Virginia House of Delegates 23rd District Democratic Nominating Committee. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee.
- The nomination method is a primary election, if needed, on Tuesday, June 8, 2021.
- Only voters registered in the 23rd House District may vote in the Democratic Party primary election for this office or be candidates for this office on the Democratic Party primary ballot.
- The 23rd House District includes portions of Lynchburg City, Amherst County, and Bedford County.
- Candidates seeking to be on the Democratic Party primary ballot for this office must file no earlier than 12:00 Noon on Monday, March 8, 2021 and no later than 5:00 PM on Thursday, March 25, 2021.
- A complete filing package includes:
(a) A notarized Declaration of Candidacy. The form for this is on the State Department of Elections website. The Declaration of Candidacy must have a “photographically reproducible notary seal/stamp.” For that reason, arrange for a notary who uses an inked stamp, NOT a notary who uses a clamp that leaves a raised impression on the paper.
(b) A receipt from the Treasurer or Director of Finance of the city or county where the candidate lives, showing payment of the primary filing fee of $352.80.
(c) Petitions of Qualified Voters signed by at least 125 voters registered in the 23rd House District. The 8-1/2 by 11 inch printed form, the 8-1/2 by 14 inch printed form, or a new electronic form may be used. These forms are on the State Department of Elections website. Printed forms must be printed on both the front and the back. Each printed form must have a “photographically reproducible notary seal/stamp”. For that reason, arrange for a notary who uses an inked stamp, NOT a notary who uses a clamp that leaves a raised impression on the paper. See the forms and contact the State Department of Elections for other requirements and information, especially on how to submit electronic forms.
- The complete filing package must be filed in person with the Chair of the 23rd House of Delegates District Democratic Nominating Committee, Jeffrey Rosner. Do not mail any part of the filing package. Do not submit any part of the filing package to anyone other than Jeffrey Rosner.
- Candidates will need to contact Jeffrey Rosner at 434-384-7083 or by email at email@example.com to arrange the time and location for filing in person.
- By the time of filing, inform Jeffrey Rosner of your personal email address, the email address of your candidate campaign committee, and cell and landline phone numbers.
- Candidates are responsible for obtaining and complying with the official rules and guidance for nominations and candidacy from the State Department of Elections and for submitting those forms that are submitted to that Department.
- The following are not official rules or guidance. They are only suggestions for candidates:
(a) File as early as possible within the March 8-March 25 window above.
(b) Obtain more than 125 signatures on your petitions, to allow for the possibility that some of the signers might not be qualified voters registered in the 23rd House District. The Democratic Party of Virginia recommends 188 signatures.
(c) Petition circulators should ask each signer to CLEARLY PRINT the signer’s name, voter registration street address and no other address, and date signed, in the spaces next to the signature.
- Any changes to this notice will be posted at lynchburgdemocrats.org (the Web site of the Lynchburg Democratic Committee). Candidates should check this Web site for any changes before filing.