CALL TO CAUCUS TO NOMINATE A DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATE
FOR MEMBER, HOUSE OF DELEGATES DISTRICT 23
The House of Delegates District 23 Democratic Nominating Committee will hold an unassembled caucus (firehouse primary) on May 18, 2019, between 10 AM and 4PM at the Lynchburg Democratic Committee office, 915 Main St (the Galleria building), third floor, Suite 304, Lynchburg VA 24504, for the purpose of nominating a Democratic candidate for the Nov. 5, 2019 General Election for House of Delegates District 23.
- Candidate Filing:
Each person seeking to become the Democratic nominee for the General Election for the House of Delegates District 23 must be a registered voter in that district. Candidates must file a Declaration of Candidacy form, posted with this Call to Caucus, and a $200 filing fee, payable to the Lynchburg Democratic Committee. All filing fees, after caucus expenses are deducted, will be contributed to the nominated candidate’s campaign committee. Filings must be submitted from April 22, 2019 through 5 PM, May 8, 2019 . Only those candidates who have properly filed a Declaration of Candidacy form and paid the filing fee by the deadline will be eligible for nomination. Candidates must also complete additional requirements and forms for the State Department of Elections.
- Mail the Declaration of Candidacy Form and a check payable to the Lynchburg Democratic Committee to the Lynchburg Democratic Committee, PO Box 1363, Lynchburg VA 24505. Write “HOD 23 filing fee” in the check memo. The check must be drawn on the account of your campaign committee, if you already have one. If you do not have a campaign committee yet, the check must be drawn on your personal account. These must be received by the Lynchburg Democratic Committee no later than the filing deadline. (Postmark does not count.) No other person or organization may pay your filing fee. DO NOT mail a check or any form to the Lynchburg Democratic Committee’s street address. DO NOT leave a check or any form at the Lynchburg Democratic Committee’s office.
- Submit the Declaration of Candidacy Form and a check payable to the Lynchburg Democratic Committee in person to the Chair of the Nominating Committee, Jeffrey Rosner, by prior arrangement at firstname.lastname@example.org or 434-384-7083.Write “HOD 23 filing fee” in the check memo. The check must be drawn on the account of your campaign committee, if you already have one. If you do not have a campaign committee yet, the check must be drawn on your personal account. No other person or organization may pay your filing fee.
The Nominating Committee shall provide notice of this caucus by placement of a general notice of the caucus, including the caucus date, time, and location, along with the Call to Caucus, on the Lynchburg Democratic Committee website; by email notification to individuals who have provided their email addresses to the Lynchburg Democratic Committee; through a press release provided to all relevant newspapers of general circulation; and through other reasonable means that will disseminate information about the caucus to registered voters in the District. Reasonable actions shall be taken to promote participation in the caucus in accordance with the Affirmative Action provisions of the Party Plan of the Democratic Party of Virginia.
Every Democrat who is a registered voter in House of Delegates District 23 is urged to attend and participate. There is no fee for participation. The caucus location is ADA accessible. Each participant must sign a written declaration at the caucus that he or she:
- Is a Democrat and not a member of any other political party;
- Does not intend to support any candidate who is opposed to a Democratic nominee in this General Election;
- Has not participated in and will not participate in the nominating process of any other party for the positions listed above; and
- Is registered to vote in House of Delegates District 23
- Conduct of Caucus
Voting will begin at 10 AM and will close at 4 PM. Those in line at the close of voting will be permitted to vote.
The Chair of the Nominating Committee, or a designee, shall be the Chair of the Caucus and shall appoint a Secretary and such other Officers of the Caucus as is deemed appropriate. The Nominating Committee will prepare the Rules for the Caucus.
- Determination of Nominee:
If more than one candidate files properly by the filing deadline, the candidates will be listed alphabetically on the ballot and will be elected by a plurality of the votes of the unassembled caucus.
If only one person files properly by the filing deadline, the Nominating Committee may cancel the caucus and declare that person the nominee. If no person files properly by the deadline, the caucus will be cancelled. If there is no filed candidate, or if the properly nominated candidate withdraws or dies, or if the caucus is unable to or does not occur in the times and dates specified, the Nominating Committee Chair may, before June 11, 2019, at an agreed upon date and time, convene the Nominating Committee to consider the nomination of a qualified candidate who may become the Democratic nominee upon first filing with the Chair a Declaration of Candidacy form and paying the filing fee for such office.
The Nominating Committee shall seek appropriate waivers from the Democratic Party of Virginia (DPVA) regarding expediting the time frames required by the Party Plan, if necessary.
Any changes to this Call to Caucus will be posted on the website of the Lynchburg Democratic Committee: lynchburgdemocrats.org
- For More information:
Contact Jeffrey Rosner at email@example.com or 434-384-7083.
ADOPTED:April 10, 2019 Jeffrey R Rosner____________________________
Date Chair, District 23 Democratic Nominating Committee