This process has now been completed.
NOTICE OF PROCEDURES FOR THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY NOMINATION FOR MEMBER OF THE VIRGINIA SENATE, 22nd DISTRICT
The nomination method is a primary election, if needed, on Tuesday, June 11, 2019.
Only voters registered in the 22nd Senate District may vote in the Democratic Party primary election for this office or be candidates for this office on the Democratic Party primary ballot.
The 22nd Senate District includes the counties of Amherst, Appomattox, Buckingham, Cumberland, Fluvanna, Goochland, Prince Edward, as well as portions of Louisa County and the City of Lynchburg.
Candidates seeking the Democratic nomination should familiarize themselves with the required paperwork through the Department of Elections Candidate Bulletin. Paperwork due to the Democratic Nominating Committee must be filed no earlier than 12:00 Noon on Monday, March 11, 2019 and no later than 5:00 PM on Thursday, March 28, 2019.
- Candidates must file the following with the Department of Elections:
- Candidates must pay the $360 filing fee to the Treasurer or Director of Finance in the locality in which they live.
- A complete filing package to the Democratic Nominating Committee Chair includes:
- Declaration of Candidacy (State Department of Elections Form SBE-505/520) .
- A receipt from the Treasurer or Director of Finance in the locality where the candidate lives, showing payment of the primary filing fee of $360.00.
- Petitions of Qualified Voters (State Department of Elections Form SBE-506/521) signed by at least 250 voters registered in the 22nd Senate District.
The filing package may be filed to the Chair of the 22nd Senate of Delegates District Democratic Nominating Committee, Katie Webb Cyphert. The filing package may be mailed to the Katie Webb Cyphert, PO Box 1363, Lynchburg, VA 24504 but must be received no later than 5PM on Thursday, March 28. Postmark does not apply.
Candidates may contact Katie Webb Cyphert by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a time for filing in person.
Candidates are responsible for obtaining and complying with the official rules and guidance for nominations and candidacy from the State Department of Elections.
The following are not official rules or guidance. They are only suggestions for candidates:
- File as early as possible within the March 11-March 28 window above. Filing in person is recommended after March 21 to ensure receipt before 5PM on March 28.
- By the time of filing, inform Katie Webb Cyphert of your personal email address and/or the email address of your candidate campaign committee, and phone numbers.
- Obtain more than 250 signatures on your petitions, to allow for the possibility that some of the signers might not be qualified voters registered in the 22nd Senate District.
- The circulators of your petitions should ask each signer to CLEARLY PRINT the signer’s name, street address where registered to vote and no other address, and date signed, in the spaces next to the signature.